Information requests include worldwide government requests we’ve received for account information, typically in connection with criminal investigations.
July 1 - December 31, 2012
|Country||Account information requests||Percentage where some information produced||Accounts specified|
About the numbers
We received user information requests from 30 different governments in 2012. During Q3-Q4 2012, we received inquiries from 23 countries with an increase of 160 requests over Q1-Q2.
We notify affected users of requests for their account information unless we’re prohibited.
- More information about user notice is available in our Guidelines for Law Enforcement.
‘Accounts specified’ includes the accounts identified in government requests we have received.
- The total number may include the same account being requested more than once or requests for accounts that do not exist or were misidentified.
We may not comply with requests for a variety of reasons. For example:
- We do not comply with requests that fail to identify a Twitter account.
- We may seek to narrow requests that are overly broad.
- In other cases, users may have challenged the requests after we’ve notified them.